I have a confession to make - my initial efforts to create a .Net FHEM front end have become mired in the deepest depths of geek porn - I've spent the last 2 months building the coolest (but mostly pointless) Fhem <-> POCO (Plain Ol' Code Object) mapper à la Fluent nHibernate, using all sorts of stuff I'd not really dug into before, such as generics, consuming lambda expressions, Moq-based isolation testing, fluent APIs, etc.
But so far, as much fun as it's been, I've got squat to show for it. I'm as annoyed as anyone, I've been boasting about having this nifty central heating control thing, and when anyone asks about it up comes a Putty console, and suddenly it all seems just lame. Plus it's pretty clear that at this rate, as soon as I have anything useful out the door, I'll be basking in a freak British summer heatwave, with central heating concerns a distant memory.
I've decided the way forward is to start with a clean slate and what I hope to be a cleaner methodology.